La Vergne, Tennessee

La Vergne, Tennessee is one of the fastest growing communities in Tennessee (and probably in the Southeastern United States). A few short years ago, the population was approximately 9,000. Today, there are more than 25,000 residents who call La Vergne "home" and it continues to grow. This blog is dedicated to keeping our community updated on current events, and serves as a guide for restaurants, entertainment, schools, and more. Welcome to La Vergne!

Monday, October 30, 2006

A Little History

Did you know I was from Alabama? Yep, that's right, Good Ol Crimson Tide. Bear Bryant, the best coach of them all.

Oh, that's not what you wanted to read about is it, Sorry.

In today's DNJ I noticed an article on the Almaville Road area. Now, I know it doesn't quite relate to La Vergne, but there was just a little bit of information I did not know.

Here's a clip

The past lives at this exit, too. Somewhere to the west lies the grave of Confederate Pvt. Dewitt Jobe, while to the east is the home of Confederate soldier Sam Davis, both members of the Coleman Scouts who gave their lives rather than surrender secrets to the Union army at the height of the Civil War.


Now, I knew about Sam Davis. I know about the battleground.

What really brought this to my attention was the fact that I really do not know the history of this great county I live in. That's going to change soon.

Are there any old covered bridges around?

Add to Technorati Favorites