La Vergne, Tennessee

La Vergne, Tennessee is one of the fastest growing communities in Tennessee (and probably in the Southeastern United States). A few short years ago, the population was approximately 9,000. Today, there are more than 25,000 residents who call La Vergne "home" and it continues to grow. This blog is dedicated to keeping our community updated on current events, and serves as a guide for restaurants, entertainment, schools, and more. Welcome to La Vergne!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Big Apple: It Ain't New York

There's more than one Big Apple in this country and we have one right here in LaVergne. It's LaVergne's very own Chinese buffet restaurant. Why it's called the Big Apple, I don't know. They could have called it LaVergne Lake Chinese Restaurant and it would have made just as much sense (because it's next door to the post office whose parking lot could be called LaVergne Lake when it rains). Didn't I hear recently that we're getting a new post office? But I digress...

I ordered carry out tonight and it was sure good. We got the pork with mushrooms, the sweet & sour chicken, the chicken with broccoli, and the chicken-on-a-stick (for the husband who's into low-carbs). The guy running the cash register / take-out window / telephone orders threw in a couple of egg rolls on the house. He got a nice tip for his effort! Does anyone else tip carry-out windows, even fast-food? I do try to give a couple of bucks here and there at the fast-food places, especially when it looks like someone could use a little extra help.

Again, I digress. I think the cost of the evening buffet at Big Apple is a bit high, especially since I don't eat the crab legs. I wish they'd offer two buffet prices (with crab legs and without). Regardless of the price, however, the food has always been good when I've visited. BUT the carry out is much more affordable and you can eat on it for days!

With tonight's meal, I didn't like one little glob of fat in the pork, but otherwise it was scrumptious! And I love their rice! The best rice will always be Basmati rice (with Indian food), but there's certainly no shame in the Big Apple rice. The egg roll was a little hard on one end, but the rest tasted great. The mushroom pork was loaded with other veggies, too, including water chestnuts, carrots, and baby corn (the kind you want to pick up and nibble around but know that would be silly). I didn't eat the sweet and sour nor the chicken broccoli, but the kids didn't complain.

My fortune cookie said, "Your happiness will always be determined by your outlook on life." Too true. I think we can all take the to heart.

Big Apple is located in front of the Food Lion shopping center on Murfreesboro Road. You can call for carry-out at 213-2521 . If you haven't already (and I can't imagine that anyone living in LaVergne wouldn't have), climb out from under your rock and give Big Apple a try!

Add to Technorati Favorites